Citrus juices have a unique blend of components that emerging research suggests may have beneficial effects on bone health from childhood through advancing age.
- An 8-ounce serving of calcium-fortified orange juice can be considered an excellent non-dairy, lactose free source of calcium, a mineral important for bone health. Many calcium-fortified citrus juices also include vitamin D, a key vitamin that helps support bone health.
- An 8-ounce serving of 100 percent orange juice is a good source of potassium and contains organic acids like citrate. The combination of these compounds may help your body neutralize acidity. Higher levels of acidity could lead to loss of calcium from bone.
- Research suggests that the polyphenolic compounds found in citrus, such as hesperidin in 100 percent orange juice and naringin in 100 percent grapefruit juice, may help support bone health through beneficial effects on bone quality and metabolism.1,2
For more information, click here.
1. Mandadi K et al. Phytomedicine. 2009;16:513-520.
2. Deyhim F et al. Nutrition. 2006;22:559-563.